Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paska (Easter) bread




Every year at Easter time I make paska bread. It's also known as Egg bread, or
Easter bread. It's my favorite. So I've decided to share my recipe. It's quite simple. So here you go. Enjoy!

Paska bread (4 loaves)

16 oz. water
3 lbs. flour
1 cup sugar
1 oz. powdered milk (1T)
1 Tablespoon salt
8 oz. margarine (2 sticks)
5 large eggs
2 1/2 oz. yeast (I prefer cake yeast)

Mix in the salt and all the dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl. Then put the wet ingredients in the center of the dry ingredients. Crumble the yeast on top of the wet ingredients and mix everything together (I prefer to use my hands). I usually sit on the floor with the bowl b/w my legs. Once mixed continue to knead the dough for 15-30 mins.

After kneading cover bowl and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place. I put my oven on for 1 minute and put my dough in there. Or you can put a bowl of boiling water in the oven with the dough. Then punch down the dough and let raise a 1/2 hour.

Cut dough up into 4 equal pieces and form dough into loaves. In this picture I braided and then brought the ends of the braid together to make a round braided loaf.

Place them in a greased pie pan and let raise double in size (about 1/2 hour).

You can Egg wash before AND after you bake them. Egg wash consists of: 1 egg white, Tablespoon of milk, Tablespoon of water mixed together.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 mins.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good and sounds great. I am going to try to make it for Easter. Thanks for sharing! Gayle Talmadge

    ReplyDelete